The theme: Schools in England

113

The theme: Schools in England

The main aim: to provide practice in reading for gist and for details and to develop oral fluency

Time Stage Stage aim Activities Interaction
5 min Warm up to create interest and establish the theme Spider diagram

Types of schools                                             Subjects

school

Places in school                                     Things taken to school

T-S
10 min Pre task to prepare students for reading the text by defining unknown words

to make predictions to develop comprehension skill

Group work

Presentation of new words

to receive-to get something from somebody without any money

Sarah received some letters from her relatives living abroad. Did Sarah buy her letters?

Can Sarah receive her letters from animals?

What have you received?

optional-choosing to do or not to do

Do children have to do their homework at Foxwood School?

Are children punished when they don’t do their homework?

Is studying Maths optional in secondary schools in Kazakhstan?

Read the title of this text

Make guesses concerning the content of this story based upon the title and the vocabulary

Group feedback-check for accuracy

 

 

T-S

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

S-S

 

S-T

 

15 min Presentation to give students practice in reading for gist Reading for the main idea

-Read the first paragraph and the last paragraph and then make up predictions about the text

-Read the first sentence of each paragraph and guess the content of the paragraph

Group feedback-check for accuracy

T-S

S-S

 

S-T

to give students practice in reading for details in order to develop their comprehensive skills Reading for details

-Read the following questions. Then read the text silently and find the answers to the questions.

1. What kind of schools are there in England?

2. What skills do children get at infant schools?

3. What subjects are taught at junior schools?

4.Why is “changing to the “big” school   a great moment in

children’s life”?

5. How do children enter into comprehensive schools?

6. How do grammar schools differ from other types of

schools?

7. What do children do after leaving a school?

In pairs –discuss your answers

Group feedback-check for accuracy

 

T-S

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

S-S

T-S

10 min Follow up to develop oral fluency Pair Work

-Talk to your partner. Discuss the similarities and differences between elementary and secondary schools in England and in Kazakhstan

Group feedback-check for accuracy

S-S

 

 

T-S

5 min Wrap up to give students practice at home Write a composition “ Schools in England”. T-S

Schools in England

In England about 93 per cent of children attend state schools. The other 7 per cent attend private schools. A minority of these private schools are boarding schools where children live as well as study. Private schools are very expensive.

In Britain it is compulsory between the ages of 5 an 16 years to receive some officially recognized form of schooling. For younger children, there are a few state kindergartens. Some private kindergartens and few “nursery classes” in ordinary schools. They are optional. Primary school consists of a reception class, infant school and junior school. A reception class and infant school take a year. In junior school, pupils spend 5 years. At the age of five they go to infant schools where they learn first steps in reading, writing and using numbers.

When children leave infant school at the age of seven they go to junior schools until they are about eleven years of age. Their schools subjects include English, arithmetic, history, geography, nature study, swimming, music, art and organized games.

At about 11 or 12 children move to a new school, usually a “comprehensive” that accepts all the children from three or four neighboring junior schools. Changing to the “big” school is great moment in life for them. At secondary school, pupils study for 5 years. Comprehensive schools want to develop the talents of each individual child. So they offer a wide choice of subjects, from art and craft, woodwork and domestic science to modern languages, computer studies. There are no entrance examinations, all pupils move automatically to the next form at the end of the year.

There are some grammar schools in which children have to pass a selection test to get in. The grammar school is a secondary school taking about 3 per cent of children offering a full theoretical secondary education and students can choose which subjects and languages they wish to study. Pupils leave schools and there are several opportunities to continue their studies elsewhere