Shopping Grammar: Comparison degrees of adjectives
The theme: Shopping Grammar: Comparison degrees of adjectives
- To check the students’ knowledge about the Future Continuous and Past Continuous tenses; to be able to talk about shopping; to present the new words connecting with the shopping; to form the students’ knowledge about comparison degrees of adjectives.
- To develop the students’ habits of speaking; to develop the logical way of thinking; to enrich the word-stock of
- To teach them to be polite, to be quicker, attentive, to work together.
The type: combined
The kind of the lesson: lesson-competition with the elements of playing
The methods: group working, playing, brainstorming, explaining, interactive methods, creative searching of the students
The aids: a multimedia, counters
The plan of the lesson:
|1.||Org. moment.||2 min.|
|2.||Checking of home task:|
· Grammar questions
· Text: “A sea story”
· Consolidation of home task
|3.||The presentation of the new material|
· Telling about the shopping
· The presentation of the dialogue
· Introduction of the new words
· Reading and acting out the dialogue
· The project of the students
· The presentation of the grammar material
· Grammar exercises
· To make a dialogue
· Physical exercise
|6.||Giving of home task||2 min|
The procedure of the lesson:
- Org. moment.
- Greeting students
- Duty’s report
- Checking of home task.
T: Dear, students. Today we’ll have an unusual lesson-competition. There are three teams. You must answer the questions and get a counter. I call the competition “Who is the cleverest?” It is devoted to your home task. If you are ready, let’s start our game. We’ll start with the grammar questions.
His mother was making supper in the kitchen when I came.
Your friends were smoking in the corridor when we saw them.
They will be waiting for you at seven in the evening.
We’ll be discus-sing this question tomorrow morning.
I was hurrying to the canteen when I met you.
They will be packing their things in the morning tomorrow.
We were having our English at 10 in the morning.
I’ll be meeting my old friends in Kiev soon.
I … (to watch) TV at 8 o’clock yesterday.
He … (to write) a letter to his friend at 5 o’clock tomorrow.
She … (to read) an interesting English book when I came in.
She … (to do) her homework at 6 o’clock tomorrow.
Working with the text.
- We asked our friend … … one evening to tell us something … about his … , and he told us the following … .
- It was … ago, when I was … on a ship which was going to … . We were having a good … .
- When the man was … the ship, he … opened his eyes and … out loudly, “Where am I? Where’s my …?”
- “Look here,” said the man, “My name is … … and I’m taking a … voyage from … to … in a … boat.”
Consolidation of homework.
T: Now let’s guess the crossword.
- Presentation of the new theme.
T: So, the theme of our today’s lesson is Shopping. The aim of the lesson is to introduce you the new words, the dialogue ; to form your knowledge about comparison degrees of adjectives.
- What do you think about shopping.
- Where do people go to do shopping?
People go to the different shops, markets, supermarkets, trade houses. In every town there are dozens of shops, and going shopping is one of the most important of the housewife’s duties. If we need something we go shopping. Let’s go shopping.
What can we buy at the butcher’s?
What can we buy at the greengrocer’s?
What can we buy at the bakery?
What can we buy at the stationery?
What can we buy at the shoe department?
What can we buy at the department of women?
What can we buy at the department of men?
What can we buy at the department of perfume?
What can we buy at the department of the electrical goods?
- The presentation of the dialogue
T: Now, look at the board and listen to me. (Introduction of the dialogue “At the shoe department” at p. 253)
- Introduction of the new words
|2.||a department store||Универмаг|
|4.||a trade house||Сауда үйі|
|5.||to buy||Сатып алу|
|10.||to be late||Кешігу|
|12.||to look round||Қарап шығу|
|13.||to excuse||Кешірім сұрау, өтіну|
|14.||a shop assistant||Сатушы|
|15.||over there||Анау жерде|
|16.||a pair||Жұп, сыңар|
|21.||a foot||Аяқ, аяқтың басы|
|25.||to try on||Киіп көру, өлшеу|
|29.||just a moment||Бір минут|
|30.||at that moment||Сол сәтте|
|31.||to be lucky||Жолы болу|
|34.||It doesn’t matter||Ештеңе етпейді|
|35.||How much is it?||Қанша тұрады|
|41.||to match||Сәйкес келу|
|42.||a watch||Қол сағат|
|47.||a bit||Кішкене, аздап|
|50.||butcher’s||Ет сататын дүкен|
|55.||drop in||Кіріп шығу, соғу|
|67.||shoe||Туфли, аяқ киім|
|69.||style||Стиль, фасон, сән|
- Reading and acting out the dialogue
- The project of the students
- The presentation of the grammar material
- Grammar exercises
Ex. 1. To give the comparison degrees of adjectives
Ex. 2. To compare the size or quality:
Ex. 3. To answer the questions using the superlative degree:
- To make a dialogue
- Physical exercise
T: Clap your hands if the word is connected with the department of clothes and stand up if the word is connected with the greengrocery:
- Conclusion. Talking about shopping and comparison
- Giving of home task
The end of the lesson