The theme of the lesson: “The Ecology of our environment & its problems”
Objectives of the lesson: 1. to practice students, to speak about the ecological problems and
their influence on our life;
- to develop their thinking abilities;
- to enrich the student’s word-stock;
- to bring them, up to love and protect the nature and our
- to teach students to make short conclusions;
Equipment: textbook, placards, schemes, substitution table.
The outline of the lesson: I. Organization moment: greetings, short conversation with pupils on duty.
- Warming up exercise: “Poem by Edith Segal “A Question”
III. 1. Revision of words taken at the previous lesson:
- Work with subtitutional table; P1-P2-P3-Etc.
- New theme: “The Ecology of our environment & its problems”
- Teacher’s information about the ecology and our environment.
- Reading of the text “This Fragile Planet”
- Speaking: Answer the questions according to the text.
- Work with the substitutional table.
- Classroom Exercise: Game: “Make your choice and explain it”
- Summarizing the lesson: What must we do to solve the ecological problems?
VIII. The end of the lesson.
The course of the lesson:
I.T: Good afternoon, students!
I’m glad to see you!
S-s: Good afternoon, teacher. We are glad to see you too.
T: Thank you, sit down. Let’s begin our lesson. Who is absent today?
S1: All are present.
- T: Listen to me attentively.
Today we shall take a poem by Edith Segal “A question”
- a) Some people live in the country
Where the houses are very small,
Some people live in the city
Where the houses are very tall.
But in the country where the houses are small,
The gardens are very big,
And in the city where the, houses are tall,
There are no gardens at live?
T: Now, repeat after me in chorus, all together.
(Pupils all together repeat each line after the teacher).
- b) T: Now, listen to me. In order to know how did you understand the contents of this poem, I shall give you each line of the poem separately. You must put together the whole poem. (Pupils in a group of 4 fulfil this task)
III. A) T: At the previous lesson we took the new words according to the theme “Ecology” such as an environment, to pollute, pollution, to cause, a shortage, a dump, waste, poison, nuclear, to survive, safe.
Let’s recollect these words and repeat them once more.
- B) T: Listen to me attentively. Look at the substitutional table. You must express the following statements in a word. Put the necessary words into the pockets after each statement.
|1. Something that kills people or animals if it is swallowed.|
|2. Not hurt, not dangerous.|
|3. A place where rubbish is left.|
|4. Making water, air, atmosphere dirty and dangerous for people and animals to live in.|
|5 .A situation where there is not enough of something.|
|6. Simply what is around us.|
- The theme of today’s lesson is “The Ecology of our environment & its problems”
- T: Today we’ll speak about our environment. Every thing that’s around us, around you, me all the people; our life, health and health problems. We’ll speak play do a lot of different things. That’s O.k. Let’s clear up:
T: What is Ecology?
P1: Ecology is a science. It is one of the global problems of the 21st century.
T: What does ecology study?
P2: It studies our environment
T: What does “environment” mean?
P1: All around us is our environment.
T: Now, what are the most serious environmental or ecological problems?
P3: Pollution in its many forms (water pollution, air pollution, nuclear pollution, destruction of wild life and countryside beauty; noise from cars, buses, planes, etc.
P4: Shortage of natural resources (metals, different kinds of fuel); the growth of pollution.
T: So, pollution causes different kinds of diseases, Look, it looks like this:
T: Such situation can happen to each of us very often.
- Now, open your books at page 64. Let us read the text “This fragile planet”
Ex. 21 p.64-66 (pupils, one after another, read and translate) P1-P2-P3-Etc.
- T: Answer my questions according to the text:
- What does the word “environment” mean?
- What are the environmental problems?
- What is necessary for our health?
P1: The word “environment” means simply what is around us.
P2: The most serious environmental problems are:
Water and air pollution, destruction of wild life and countryside beauty, shortage of natural resources and so on.
P3: Both clean water are necessary for our health.
T: Now, look at the next table;
Read the word combinations in Russian from point A, and find their English equivalents from point B.
You must write your answers such way using only figures.
E.g: 1+14, 2+18, etc.
|1. Жить в условиях города||10. Countryside beauty|
|2. Решать проблемы окружающей среды||11. Nuclear –poisoned fish|
|3. Загрязнение водной среды||12. Industrial and nuclear waste|
|4. Загрязнение воздуха||13. Leave their habitats|
|5. Красота сельского ландшафта||14. Life in a town environment|
|6. Рыба, подвергшаяся радиационному заражению||15. Water pollution|
|7. Промышленные и ядерные отходы||16. To be used for dumping|
|8. Оставлять свои места обитания||17. Air pollution|
|9. Использовать в качестве мусорной свалки||18. to solve the environmental problems|
- Now, let’s play the game “Make your choice and explain it”
Look at the placard with words according to the “country” and “city”
|“country” words||“city” words|
|1.to lead a quiet life||1. to lead an interesting life|
|2. to work outdoors.||2. to have all modern conveniences|
|3. to take care of animals||3. to work with modern machines|
|4. to breathe fresh air||4. to be able to go to the theatre (cinema, museum, galleries)|
|5. to eat healthy food||5. to be able to have a lot of fun|
|6. to enjoy countryside|
|7. to live among friendly people|
T: You may begin your sentence this way:
E.g. I’d rather live in the country because I can breathe fresh air and eat healthy food.
T: Do you understand the task?
(Pupils, one after another, make their choice and explain it)
- Now, let’s summarize the lesson.
What did you get from this lesson?
P1: We’ve got more information about the ecology, environment and environmental problems.
T: O.k. Thank you! As you know, man needs protection. What must we do to solve these ecological problems?
P1: We should stop testing nuclear weapons.
P2: We must plant more trees.
P3: We should clean water and rivers.
P4: We should clear rubbish from lakes and rivers.
P5: We need good filters at nuclear power stations, at factories and plants and also in cars and buses.
T: O.k. Thank you! You’ve made a good conclusion.
We must solve the ecological problems quickly as soon as possible.
If we do such kind of good activities, our world will be very beautiful.
Let’s continue our lesson with the song “The World is Beautiful”
Which is composed by me, your teacher of English
Keulimzhayeva Bazargul Eleukyzy. It is sung according to the melody of Russian song
“Песня крокодила Гены”
The world is Beautiful.
- Our world is very-very beautiful
Don’t pollute the air and the land
Everything will be so very wonderful,
If you help the nature every day
Refrain: Let’s keep the world so clean
(2 times) Keep so clean, keep so clean
Never forget to plant
- Our world is very-very beautiful
Don’t destroy the forests and the grass
Try to keep the land so clean and very nice
For the world is our native land.
Refrain (2 times)
Thank you for your active at the lesson. Your marks for today’s lesson:
Open your diaries and write down your home task:
Write short summary about the ecology of our town Shalkar;
To make up the crossword according to the ecology and environment.
VIII. Now, all of you, stand up.
The lesson is over. You are free. Good-Bye!