The theme of the lesson: Holidays
The aims of the lesson:
Communicative aims: to develop students’ ability to talk about their holidays, to encourage them to discuss their holidays.
Educational aims: to teach to work creatively, find information while reading the text; to develop people’s skills in speaking.
Visual aids: tables, pictures, diagramma
Grammar material: Past Simple and Past Continuous Tense
Vocabulary topics: Types of holidays, Tips for travellers
Stages of the lesson
- Organization moment.
- The lesson begins with brainstorming.
T: Good morning, my dear students! I am glad to see you!
Today we are going to speak about holidays. At first let’s revise some holidays activities. Look at the blackboard now. I want you to answer the question:
- What is most important to you about a holiday?
- What is your favourite kind of holiday?
- Which is the best and which is the worst holiday you have ever had?
Ex.3 Put the words in the box under the following headings.
|Types of holiday||Places where people stay on holiday||Places people visit on holiday||Things people do on holiday||Problems people can have on holiday|
|Beach, relax, sightseeing, hotel, excursion, youth hostel, camping, adventure, safari, delays, sunbathing, farm stay, galleries, lost luggage, cruise, museum, queues, hitch-hiking, crowds, tent, skiing|
Ex.4 Discuss your ideas with your partner. What is his/her opinion about these pictures?
- Name the type of each holiday. Match the type of a holiday with a picture.
- Beach Safari 7. Farm stay
- Skiing Camping 8. Fly-driver
- Cruise Hitch-hiking 9. Driving
A B C
D E F
- Which type of holiday are your for?
Ex.5 a) Students discuss/compare different types of holidays in pairs or small groups.
- When pairs/groups finish discussing they look at the table and choose the type of a holiday which has the least disadvantages.
Ex.6 Sentences and questions prepare students to read the text. Students read the text “Tips for travellers” and individually fill in the diagram.
Ex.9. Answer the questions.
- The text mentions only two means of travelling. What are the other means? Example:
- The text says that one has to make preparations before the departure. What are the preparations like? Example:
Ask your neighbor to water your flowers, _______________________
- What kind of problems with health can a traveler have besides jet-lag?
- What other things should a traveler know?
Kinds of accommodation. ________________________________________
Revision of the Past Simple Tense and Past Continuous Tense.
Ex.18 Here are the past tense forms of 10 verbs. Write in the base forms.
to come came
Ex.20. Work in pairs: decide which is the correct tense. Past Simple or Past Continuous?
- Five years ago I travelled / was travelling on a plane.
- We left / were leaving the cinema before the end of the film.
- When I came to the station to the station Ann talked / was talking to the porter.
- Where did you go / were you going on your last summer holiday?
- When I heard the alarm I left / was leaving the room immediately….
- I walked / was walking in the street when I suddenly heard / was hearing someone call me.
- We went / were going to the city. But on the way we heard / were hearing about a bomb scare. So we drove / were driving back home.
VII. Giving the home task.
Ex 27. Imagine that you went sightseeing yesterday. Write seven sentences about your day. Use Past tenses.
Yesterday I went sightseeing with my friend. ________________________