Theme of the lesson: Elvis Presley
- To enrich students’ knowledge about the life of the ‘The King’ of the R&R.
- To develop their interest & skills in speaking & reading.
- To develop their respect to the country & its people
Type of the lesson: Presentation of a new material.
Methods: Explanation, group & pair work.
Resource used: Interactive board, cards, portraits & pictures
The Procedure of the lesson
- Organization moment: a. greetings b. talking to the pupil on duty
- Warm- up. Dear students, we are going to start our lesson. Before beginning it let’s have fun with a simple game. I’ll pin the names of a famous person for three students’ back. The names are internationally recognized. You must guess of the person on your back by asking questions. For ex. Is/was he/she English/American or Kazakh?
When did he/she born?
Did/does he/she write novels, sing songs or paint drawings/paints? Etc.
The names are W. Shakespeare/ Elizabeth II/A. Kunanbayev
- Presentation of the new material. We’ll speak about a famous singer. Let’s introduce with his biography & career.
Birth name Elvis Aaron Presley
Born January 8, 1935
Tupelo, Mississippi, U.S.
Died August 16, 1977 (aged 42)
|Presley’s birthplace in Tupelo, Mississippi|
Memphis, Tennessee, U.S.
Genres Rock and roll, pop, rockabilly, country, blues, gospel, R&B
Occupations Musician, actor
Instruments Vocals, guitar, piano
Years active 1954–77
Elvis Aaron Presleya (January 8, 1935 – August 16, 1977) was one of the most popular American singers of the 20th century. A cultural icon, he is widely known by the single name Elvis. He is often referred to as the «King of Rock and Roll» or simply «the King».
Born in Tupelo, Mississippi, Presley moved to Memphis, Tennessee, with his family at the age of 13. He began his career there in 1954 when Sun Records owner Sam Phillips, Presley is regarded as one of the most important figures of 20th-century popular culture. He had a versatile voice and unusually wide success encompassing many genres, including country, pop ballads, gospel, and blues. He is the best-selling solo artist in the history of popular music
In November 1948, the family moved to Memphis, Tennessee. On January 10, 1956, Presley made his first recordings for RCA in Nashville
On March 24, Presley was inducted into the U.S. Army. Presley returned to the United States on March 2, 1960
In the first half of the decade, three of Presley’s soundtrack albums hit number one on the pop charts., and a few of his most popular songs came from his films, such as «Can’t Help Falling in Love» (1961) and «Return to Sender» (1962). Shortly before Christmas 1966, more than seven years since they first met, Presley proposed to Priscilla Beaulieu. They were married on May 1, 1967
Presley’s only child, Lisa Marie, was born on February 1, 1968, during a period when he had grown deeply unhappy with his career.
Back on tour and meeting Nixon
December 21, 1970, Presley engineered a bizarre meeting with President Richard Nixon at the White House, where he expressed his patriotism and his contempt for the hippie drug culture. He asked Nixon for a Bureau of Narcotics and Dangerous Drugs badge, to add to similar items he had begun collecting and to signify official sanction of his patriotic efforts.
Presley’s divorce took effect on October 9, 1973.He was now becoming increasingly unwell. Toward the end of 1973, he was hospitalized.
By this point, he suffered from multiple ailments—glaucoma, high blood pressure, liver damage, and an enlarged colon, each aggravated, and possibly caused, by drug abuse.
Presley’s funeral was held at Graceland, on Thursday, August 18. Presley was buried next to his mother following an attempt to steal the singer’s body in late August, the remains of both Elvis Presley and his mother were reburied in Graceland’s Meditation Garden on October 2
Between 1977 and 1981.Presley were top ten country hits.»His music and his personality, fusing the styles of white country and black rhythm and blues, permanently changed the face of American popular culture. His following was immense, and he was a symbol to people the world over of the vitality, rebelliousness, and good humor of his country.»
- Let’s draw his ‘life line’
- Creative work: To make up Presley’s birth sign.
Capricorn: He was the Goat- the tenth sign of the Zodiac. He was calm, shy, systematic and economical. He was successful in life. He was very hard -working.
- Home task: To write an essay about Elvis Presley and to read the text in the textbook Step6
- Evaluation of the pupils’ knowledge at the lesson
- The end of the lesson.