Theme of the lesson: Biggest and best!
The aim of the lesson:
- To enrich students’ knowledge about adjectives; to develop students’ abilities in using Degrees of Comparison.
- To develop students’ oral and written communication skills and habits; to improve pronunciation and translation skills; to motivate individual and pair work.
- To bring up feelings of friendship and respect in relationship between students.
Type of the lesson: practical lesson
Equipments: textbook, workbook, placards, cards, computer,
Methods of teaching: explaining, question – answer, researching, individual and pair work, warm- up, exercises, games.
Procedure of the lesson
- Organization moment
- a) Greeting
- b) Duty’s report
- c) Smile and say some words to your friend using adjectives (students say some compliments to each other)
- Phonetic drill
Exercise 1, page 81. Listen, read and learn it by heart.
Good, better, best.
Never, never rest.
Till your good is better.
And your better best.
III. Checking up the home task
- Translate the word “жақсы” into English.
- Give antonym of the word “hot”.
- Who was Margaret Thatcher?
- Choose the word with the wrong spelling: fast, small, claen, old.
- Write comparative of the adjective “cheap”.
- What is the hottest place in the world?
- Translate the word “тез, жылдам” into English.
- Find the odd word: cheap, bad, clean, book.
- Write superlative of the adjective “old”
- Give synonym of the word “high”
- Translate the word “dirty” into Kazakh.
- Who was the shortest person in the world?
- What country has the largest population in the world?
- Who had the biggest bath?
- Focus on grammar
|attractive||more attractive||the most attractive|
|many, much||more||the most|
Exercise 1, page 28 (workbook). Complete the chart
Exercise 2. Complete the sentences. Use the comparative from of the adjectives in brackets.
- This chair is more comfortable (comfortable) than that one.
- My room is ___________ (messy) than my brother’s room.
- History is __________ (useful) than Art.
- The new shopping centre is _______ (modern) than the old one.
- I am _______ (old) than my friend.
Exercise 3, page 82. Read about the hotels.
The Kazakhstan Hotel
Price: 15 000 tenge
The Ankara Hotel
Price: 60 000 tenge
The Almaty Hotel
Price: 11 000 tenge
Exercise 4, page 83. Are the sentences true or false?
- The Kazakhstan Hotel is older than the Almaty Hotel. (F)
- The Ankara is the most expensive hotel. (T)
- The Almaty is more modern than the Ankara. (F)
- The Ankara is bigger than the Almaty. (T)
- The Ankara is the cheapest. (F)
- Work in pairs
Exercise 9, page 85. Listen and read.
Little Lion: Who am I?
Mother Lion: You are the most beautiful of all the animals.
Owl: Hello! Who are you?
Little Lion: Hello! I am the strongest, the fastest, the cleverest, the best and the most beautiful of all the animals.
Owl: Never say that you are the strongest, the fastest, the cleverest, the best and the most beautiful of all the animals. There are animals which stronger, faster, better and more beautiful than you.
Little Lion: Thank you, Mr. Owl. And you are the cleverest of all.
VII. Consolidation. Games. (Way Ahead 3 Pupil’s CD)
VIII. Physical exercise.
- I think you are a little tired, so let’s have a rest.
Hands on hips.
Hands to sides.
- Home task
“3” – exercise 7, page 84. Write sentences about these people.
“4” – exercise 11, page 85. Read and write the words.
“5” – exercise 5, page 83. Write sentences comparing the three hotels. Research work.
— I thank everybody for participating in the lesson. Well, dear students, I am satisfied with your wok and now it’s high time to give you marks.
— Our lesson is over. Good bye, children!